This is a deliciously indulgent, gluten-free cake. A great way to jazz up your millets at your next dinner.
Cooking time 40 mins / Preparation time 90 mins / Serves 4
1. Whole Eggs - 3
2. Powdered Sugar - 1/2 cup
3. Little Millet Powder - 1/2 cup (Fine ground millets)
4. Oil - 1/2 cup
5. Vanilla essence – ½ tsp
Caramel Nut Topping
1. Cream – ½ cup
2. Milk – ½ Cup
3. Sugar – ½ Cup
4. Nuts – ¾ cup (recommend Hazelnut/Almond)
Millet Cake Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius.
2. Grind the millet into fine powder and sieve if needed.
3. Start whisking the whole eggs, preferably using a stand/hand mixer.
4. As the eggs get bubbles, slowly add sugar in. 5. Continue whisking for 4-5 minutes until the egg and sugar mixture is lighter in colour and almost tripled in size.
5. Drop the speed of the mixer and slowly pour the oil in until mixed. Remove the bowl from the hand/stand mixer.
6. Fold the millet powder in three parts into the egg mixture.
7. Prep a 3”x6” loaf pan.
8. Pour the mixture and bake for 15-20 minutes, until fluffed and golden brown. Test to ensure the knife comes out clean.
Nut Caramel Topping
1. Bring the milk, cream, and sugar to boil on the gas.
2. Gently mix until the mixture starts to brown. Once the color changes. It’ll start to thicken.
3. Turn off and add the nuts of your choice.
4. Layer the mixture on top of the cake and bake for 15-20 mins at 170 degrees Celsius, or until golden brown.
"Millets are important to me because I come from a rich millet-producing state - where the diversity of millets is incredible. Their ease of availability makes them accessible to all strata. They are nutritious and extremely versatile. As a chef, I love experimenting with them. "