Pulao or pulav or pilaf, is comfort food at its best and I make it when I want to cook something quick, easy, and satisfying. This one-pot dish made with fragrant 'rice' (makra or browntop millet) and colorful healthy vegetables has added spices and herbs, giving it a mild fragrant flavor.
Cooking time 15 mins / Preparation time 20 mins / Serves 4
1. Makra – 150g
2. Green Peas – 50g
3. Green Coriander – 20g
4. Red Bell pepper – 1
5. Onion – 20g
6. Ginger – 10g
7. Garlic – 10g
8. Fried Shallots – 50g
9. Salt – as per Taste
10. Pepper – 5g
11. Butter – 60g
12. Desi Ghee – 30g
13. Clove – 5 No.
14. Black Pepper – 5
15. Bay leaf – 1
16. Cumin – 20g
1. Wash and soak the Makra for half an hour.
2. Chop the Shallots, Onions, Ginger and Garlic.
3. Take a non-stick pan and add desi ghee to it. Now let the whole spices (clove, black pepper, bay leaf, cumin) crackle.
4. Add the chopped Shallots, Onions, Ginger, Garlic and Green peas to the pan. Sweat them for 30 seconds.
5. Add Makra and an equal amount of water to the pan and let it cook by absorption process.
6. Check for seasoning.
7. Add the butter to finish the dish.
8. Once cooked garnish with green coriander fried shallots.
"As a head of Department of Food Production at a culinary institute, millets are important to me because they offer a unique opportunity to introduce my students to a lesser known, highly nutritious grain with a rich cultural history. Additionally, incorporating millets into my curriculum can help promote sustainable and environmentally friendly cooking practices, which are increasingly important in the culinary world."
Make sure to connect and keep up with Chef Meenakshi on Instagram.