Idli is made with a fermented batter of rice and lentils, but we have replaced the rice with millet.
It's a probiotic recipe!
Cooking time 10 mins / Preparation time 24 hours / Serves 3
- Ragi millet: 1/2 cup/100gm
- Kodo millet: 1/2 cup/100gm
- White urad dal: 1/4 cup/60gm
- Methi seeds: 1 tsp/5gm
- Wash and soak the ragi and kodo millet together.
- Wash and soak the urad dal and methi seeds in a separate bowl.
- Soak for 4-6 hours - grind the millets and dal/methi seeds separately, into a rough paste. - Mix together and beat well for a minute.
- Cover and leave aside at room temperature overnight to ferment. - the next day, add salt and water (to the required consistency) and mix well.
- Pour into the oiled idli trays and steam until the idlis are cooked, about 7-10 minutes.
- Enjoy with coconut chutney!