The versatility of simple and natural ingredients has inspired me to create this recipe. A gluten-free and vegan recipe, highlighting the natural flavors and essence of organic ingredients like forest honey, jaggery and homegrown tulsi, thereby promoting local ingredients and sustainability.
The richness of ragi and flaxseeds marries the sweetness of honey and jaggery resulting in a melange of flavours making it a perfect tea cake for any occasion.
Prep time 15 / Cooking time 25
- 1250 gms ripe bananas
- 260 gms black palm Jaggery
- 100 ml Tulsi-infused honey
- 410 gms whole wheat flour (gluten-free)
- 610 gms Ragi (finger millet) flour
- 90 ml Olive Oil
- 20 gms flax seeds
- 240 gms chopped walnuts
- Add the grated black jaggery to the mashed banana mixture and blend well using a whisk.
- Add honey slowly while blending.
- Add the olive oil gradually to the above mixture and keep mixing well.
- Add chopped walnuts dusted with Ragi flour into the mixture.
- Lastly fold the wheat flour and Ragi flour into the above mixture little by little and mix it well using a spatula ensuring you incorporate air in the mixture making it light and fluffy.
- Put in a desired mold, tap it on a tabletop to ensure no air gaps, and sprinkle flax seed on top.
- Bake at 180'c for 25 min in a preheated oven.
- Allow to cool a bit, slice using a sharp knife and serve luke warm.
"Millets are important to me because they are a superfood which are not just nutritious and healthy , but also delicious and easy to cook.
As India is the number one producer of millets in the world, it's imperative for me to educate and spread awareness on millets."
Make sure to connect and keep up with Chef Jerson on Instagram.